After an hour and half rain delay, the Cardinals and Indians get things going. Carlos Martinez vs. Corey Kluber in what should be a battle of two of baseball best pitchers. The last time Kluber faced the Cardinals he struck 18 Redbirds tying a Cleveland Indians record. It’s game time from Busch!
- Carlos Martinez’s first inning woes continue. He gives up a lead off hit to Frankie Lindor, walks Michael Brantley, gives up a sac fly to Jose Ramirez, gets a pop out to Yadi from Yonder Alonso, a bloop single from Lonnie Chisenhall that scores a run, a single roped to Bader in right from Jason Kipnis that scores another and finally strikes out Yan Gomes to end the top half of the first. Carlos throws 31 pitches and allows two runs to score in his first inning of work.
- MATT CARPENTER leads off the first inning for the Cardinals with a home run, his 14th of 2018.
- The Cardinals collect two hits and one run off Kluber in the first. The two-time Cy Young winner is still able to strike out two in the inning though.
- Fox Sports Midwest spent the top of the second inning breaking down the hottest topic in St. Louis sports: Marcell Ozuna’s neon compression sleeve.
- Cardinals get the bases loaded with no outs against Kluber in the first. Carlos ties the game with a sac fly. Matt Carpenter rips a base hit to right and Harrison Bader flies around the bases and gives the Cardinals the lead.
- JOSE MARTINEZ! He hits a three run bomb that goes a mile high. Cards go up big.
- That’s all for Kluber. It’s the shortest start of his career. 1 2/3 innings, six earned runs and two home runs allowed.
- KOLTEN WONG smokes one into the Cardinals bullpen for his 6th homer of the season. That’s eight runs through three innings for the Cardinals.
- Matt Carpenter collects his third hit of the game in the fourth inning.
- Yadi hits a sac fly to deep left center and that’s more than deep enough for Matt Carpenter to trot home for the Cardinals ninth run of the ballgame.
- Carlos Martinez salvages what was rough start to pitch a solid six innings. He gives up two earned runs, strikes out eight and only walks one. Hopefully, a sign of things to come for Carlos.
- Matt Carpenter collects his fourth hit of the game in the sixth, a double. Only a triple away from the cycle.
- Marcell Ozuna drives in Carpenter with a base hit to left, swelling the Cardinals lead to 10-2.
- Oliver Perez enters the game for the Indians in the bottom of the seventh.
- FUN FACT: Oliver Perez has the 11th highest K/9 in MLB history (9.44).
- MATT CARPENTER HITS HIS SECOND HOME RUN OF THE GAME AND HE IS NOW 5-FOR-5 TONIGHT.
- After scoring two runs in the first, the Indians’ bats are silenced by Martinez, Cecil, Holland and Mayers. Cleveland’s only runs scored in this series have come in the first inning of tonight’s game.
- The Cardinals hit four home runs, all by Cardinals infielders. The only infielder (starter) not to hit a home run is Yairo Munoz who exited the game with what the Cardinals are calling an ankle contusion.
- Carlos Martinez wins his 50th career game.
- The Cardinals win their fourth game in a row.
Cardinals go for the sweep of the Tribe tomorrow night at Busch. It’s Shane (Justin) Bieber versus Jack Flaherty. First pitch is at 7:15 p.m.