It’s a Friday night in the city by the bay and there is baseball to play. John Gant gets the start for the Cardinals against Derek (Pudge’s son) Rodriguez for the Giants. The Cardinals are looking for their fourth straight victory and a jump in the standings in both the NL Central and NL Wild Card race. Oh, and Paul DeJong is back tonight. Should be a fun one! Let’s play ball!
- Cardinals first baserunner of the night is Tommy Pham with a walk. They can’t do anything with it though as Yadi grounds into an inning double play.
- John Gant holds the Giants hitless through one. The inning includes one walk and one stretch play by Gant to record an out against Buster Posey.
- Jedd Gyorko rips one into triples alley in right center but a ground out by DeJong forces him out at home. DeJon scores all the way from first on a bloop hit by Wong who ends up at second on the play. Cardinals up 1-0 through an inning and a half.
- A wild pitch from Gant in the second leads to a run and this game is tied though two innings.
- Giants get two on with two in the fourth but can’t cash in. Tied at one through four innings.
- Pablo Sandoval (remember him?) hits an oppo home run and breaks the tie in the bottom of the sixth.
- The Giants lead doesn’t last long. Paul DeJong rips a base hit up the middle and Kolten Wong one hops the right field wall to score DeJong. Tie game 2-2.
- John Gant’s night is over. He goes six innings, gives up two runs on five hits, walks three and strikes out five.
- Derek Rodriguez goes six and two thirds, gives up two runs on five hits, walks two and strikes out one.
- Andrew McCutchen drives in a run to take the lead in the seventh on a base hit that sneaks between Gyorko and DeJong.
- Will Smith closes the game out for the Giants as they hold on to win 3-2.
- Cardinals fall to 45-42
- John Brebbia tagged with the loss.
Game three of this series takes place tomorrow at 3:05 CST. Carlos Martinez vs. Jeff Samardzija.