Welp, last night was a roller coaster of emotions. Let’s hope for better tonight in Cincy. Lefty Austin Gomber takes the mound for the Redbirds tonight, let’s see if he has similar success to Poncdeleon. Let’s ride.
- Yadi fouls off a ball down the third baseline and it strikes a young fan. Scary scene. You could the young girl crying on the radio broadcast. We all for a quick recover for that young woman.
- Homer Bailey strikes out the side in first.
- Lead-off double for Marcell Ozuna in the second. Thats Marcell’s first extra base hit in what seems like an eternity. But, the Cardinals can’t score him. Tragic.
- Austin Gomber strikes out the side in the bottom of the second.
- Gomber walks two, including the lead off man, in the bottom of the third but the Reds can’t make anything happen. No score through three innings.
- DeJong ropes on to dead center and lunging Billy Hamilton can’t coral it and it’s a double for Paulie D. Jose Martinez drives him in with a base hit to right center field and the Cardinals take the lead.
- Gomber throws a nine-pitch inning in the fifth. He is rolling right now.
- Oh boy. We are doing this again. Gomber has a no-no through six innings. He’s been filthy. He threw only nine pitches in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings for a total of 79 through six innings.
- Fowler walks with two outs, steals a base and Munoz drives him home with a double to left center. Cardinals up 2-0.
- The Reds player that you would expect to end Gomber’s no-hit bid ended Gomber’s no-hit bid. Joey Votto just knows how to hit. Then, things take a turn for the worst. Suarez takes Gomber deep to left center field to tie the game at two.
- Gomber’s night is done. He goes six and a third without giving up a hit before allowing two hit and a run. He walks two and strikes out six.
- Jordan Hicks comes into the game in the eighth and does his job.
- Tyler Lyons record the first out in the bottom of the ninth and Mike Schildt brings in Sam Tuivallala to face Votto. Tui strikes out Votto. Tui strikes out Suarez. Free baseball tonight in the Queen City.
- Cardinals go quietly in the top of the tenth.
- The young girl who was struck by the ball earlier in the game returned to her seat. Glad to see that.
- The Reds get a lead off single in the bottom of the tenth. Tui hits the next batter. With two on, the Reds bunt but Munoz makes a fantastic play to throw out the runner at third. Tui gets out of the jam though. An impressive five outs by Sam Tui. Onward we march to the eleventh.
- DEXTER FOWLER! Dex hits a two-run homer to give the Cardinals the lead in the top of the eleventh.
- Bud Norris comes into to close the game for the Cards and he faces the top of the order for the Reds. Peraza leads off with a single between Munoz and DeJong. A potential double play gets the lead runner but an ill-advised throw by DeJong means Gennett is safe and he advance to second on the wild throw. Norris strikes out Joey Votto, he walks Suarez and leaping grab by DeJong wins the game for the Cardinals. Whew, that was nerve wrecking.
- Cardinals move to 51-50 on the season.
- Joey Votto strikes out three times in a game for the first time this season.
It’s the rubber match game tomorrow afterno- err morning with Jack Flaherty taking on Sal Romano. First pitch is scheduled for 11:35 CST.