The trade deadline has come and gone. It’s time to get into the dog days of summer baseball. Last night’s game ended with an absolute rocket off the bat of Marcell Ozuna after a four run comeback by the Redbirds. Let’s see if they can keep rolling tonight with Jack Flaherty on the mound.
- MATT CARPENTER DID THE DAMN THING! He hits his 26th homer of the year and his 22nd lead-off homer, the most in Cardinals history. Cardinals up 1-0 after the first.
- Jack Flaherty is dealing through three innings. He has given up one hit and has struck out five.
- Danny Mac and Ricky Horton bring Larry Walker into the booth for the third inning and I have the biggest smile on my face the whole time. Watching him play right field for the Cardinals in ’04-’05 was so cool. Dude deserves to be a hall of famer. Great Twitter follow as well.
- Rockies rally a few hits together to get runners on first and third with one out in the fourth but Captain Jack is able to navigate his way out of the inning unscathed.
- Charlie Blackmon gets a hold of one in the fifth and it gives the Rockies a 2-1 lead. A no doubter.
- Trevor Story doubles in the sixth to extend the Rockies lead and Flaherty’s night is over. Flaherty goes five and a third, gives up three runs on five hits and strikes out seven.
- Gerardo Parra hits a blooper to score Story and it’s not the ideal first impression for Chasen Shreeves. Rockies up 4-1.
- Carlos Gonzales makes unbelievable sliding grab near the right field corner to end the sixth inning for the Cardinals.
- With two outs in the top of the seventh inning, CarGo goes YARD for a two run jack to extend the Rox lead to 6-1.
- Tyler O’Neill leads off the eighth with a base hit up the middle; he’s second hit of the ball game. O’Neill has two of the Cardinals’ three hits tonight.
- Dexter Fowler walks after O’Neill and the Cardinals have two runners on for the first time this game. Yairo Munoz singles into left and the Cards have the bases loaded and that will be the end of Jon Gray’s night. He goes seven and a third, gives up one run on five hits and strikes out five. Seung-hwan Oh enters the game for the Rockies and is able to get Carpenter to fly out but a run scores on the sacrifice. A wild pitch from moves the runners to second and third. Catcher Tom Murphy tries throwing out Fowler at third but it’s wild also! Fowler scores! That’s all they’ll get though. 6-3 Rockies through eight.
- Cardinals go down without a whimper in the ninth.
- St. Louis falls to 54-53 on the season.
This four game series with Colorado continues tomorrow night when Kyle Freeland takes on Luke Weaver at 7:15 CST. Hopefully, the offense shows up and the Cardinals can start the month of August off on the right foot.