The Cardinals are riding a two game win streak coming into tonight’s matchup with the Braves. Austin Gomber is on the mound as he looks for redemption after an early exit in his last start.
- Only one hit for both sides through the first three innings. Gomber and Anibal Sanchez settle in nicely for tonight’s affair.
- The good luck runs out for Gomber in third as he allows his second hit of the game, a solo opposite field bomb for young Ronald Acuna Jr. Gomber allows a double and two walks later in the third but is able to exit the inning only allowing one run. 1-0 Braves through three innings.
- Cardinals get their revenge in the fourth. Martinez ropes a single to left and the next better, DeJong, jacks a dinger left center- the first two hits of the game for the Cardinals. Cardinals take the lead.
- The Cardinals rally some hits together in the fifth but they can’t score. A squeeze play failed in the inning on a Gomber sac bunt. The inning commences with Carpenter striking out with two on. Man, he is struggling right now.
- Braves threaten to score in the fifth with Gomber approaching 100-pitches but he gets the job done. Nice night of pitching from Austin.
- John Brebbia goes to work in the sixth with stellar results, including striking Acuna Jr. 2-1 Cardinals through six innings.
- Jordan Hicks keeps a strong night from the pen rolling in the seventh.
- An extra-base hit from Jose Martinez and the Birds have two runners in scoring position with one out in the eighth. Paul DeJong adds another RBI on the night! He is on FIRE right now.
- Yadi adds to the lead and this game is busted wiiiiide open! Yadi strokes a base hit with the bases loaded and all three runners score as Acuna bobbles the ball in left. 6-1 Cardinals through the top of the eighth.
- Dominic Leone stops the Braves in the eighth. Where in the hell has this ‘pen been?!
- Tyler O’Neill and Marcell Ozuna add some insurance with a RBI base hits in the ninth. 8-1 Cardinals headed to the bottom of the ninth.
- Mike Mayers slams the door shut on this one!
- Cardinals win 8-1!
Cardinals win another series and keep pace in the NL Playoff race. Game time tomorrow is an early one. First pitch is at 11:10 a.m. St. Louis time. Jack Flaherty is on the mound as the Cards go for a sweep.