So last night looked like it was going to be an amazing come from behind victory. Then it rained. And then it wasn’t. But, it’s time to get back up on the horse and play again today!
Austin Gomber faces off against Gio Gonzalez (whom I did not know was a member of the Milwaukee Brewers). It’s the biggest game of the season so far, and boy do they need this one with the Rockies breathing down their necks. Following along below!
- The first inning for Gomber is very Jekyll/Hyde. He records the first two outs almost without breaking a sweat. Then, Jesus Aguilar drives an opposite field dinger over the right field fence. Then, Ryan Braun homers for the second night in a row. Gomber may have a short leash tonight.
- Needing some runs in the bottom half of the frame, the Cardinals get a couple men on base but can’t muster up a run. 2-0 Brewers through one inning.
- Gomber looks much better in the second and retires the side.
- Through three innings, Gomber has five strikeouts.
- The Brewers string some hits together in the fourth and Gio Gonzalez knocks a run in. Gomber’s night is over. Not great, Bob! Not great!
- Tyson Ross takes over for Gomber in the fourth with two on. He promptly loads the bases for Christian Yelich. The MVP candidate clears the bases on a two-out triple. Yikes. 6-0 BrewCrew.
- The Cardinals finally get something cooking in the bottom of the fourth. YADI HITS A THREE RUN HOME RUN and the lead is cut in half. Molina’s 20th HR of the year.
- Tyson Ross loads the bases again in the fifth. He allows one run before Shildt scoops him off the mound. Dominic Leone takes over. He gets out of the inning with out another run scored. 7-3 Brewers.
- Patrick Wisdom leads off the bottom of the fifth with a base hit. Matt Carpenter walks. Jose Martinez hits a single to right. The bases are loaded. Nobody out. DeJong hits one to the outfield but stays in the park. Wisdom scores on a sac fly. Ozuna hits an infield single and the bases are loaded again with one out this time around.
- Jedd grounds into an inning ending double play. Damn. That’s not good. 7-4 Brewers heading to inning number six.
- Greg Garcia gets a lead off pitch hit single in the seventh.
- Then everything goes to hell. Carpenter gets called out on a terrible called third strike. He gets tossed as he’s walking away from home plate. Shildt is enraged. He get’s tossed too. Thanks, blue. Five games left and you toss the league leader in home runs because you have thin skin.
- Jose Martinez rips a double and the tying run comes to the plate in the name of Paul DeJong. He strikes out. Ozuna’s turn. He walks. Bases juiced. Jedd steps up to the plate with the bases loaded for the second time tonight. He flies out to end the inning. Cardinals strand the bases loaded. 7-4 Brewers through seven innings.
- Ryan Braun hits a two-run home run for the Milwaukee Brewers in the top of the eighth. 😦
- Nothing happens in the bottom of eighth. 9-4 Brewers with one inning to go.
- Yelich hits a three-run homer in the ninth. He finishes with a triple, home run and 6 RBIs tonight. To hell with everything.
- It’s over.
- Cardinals lose 12-4.
- Three errors for the Cardinals.
- Brewers get 15 hits.
John Gant is on the mound tomorrow for the last (regular season) game at Busch Stadium in 2018. Early start at 6:10 CST. See ya then.