The Cardinals are in their third and final city of a nine-game road trip that has had it’s ups and downs. Freshly named All-Star Miles Mikolas takes the mound for St. Louis as the head into the Southside of Chicago for a two game series. It’s Cardinals-White Sox tonight from Guaranteed Rate Field (blah). Let’s play ball!
- Cardinals strike out four times in the first two innings. Dylan Covey had a K/9 ratio of six coming into tonight’s game.
- White Sox strike out five times in the first two innings. Miles Mikolas had a K/9 ratio of six coming into tonight’s game.
- Matt Carpenter gets the first hit of the ballgame with two outs in the third. #VoteCarp
- Jose Martinez drives a single up the middle to score Carpenter and then Ozuna smacks the fourth straight single of the third to score DeJong.
- White Sox rattle the bats in the bottom of the third and tie the game on basest from Charlie Tilson that just sneaks by a diving Kolten Wong.
- Cardinals are swinging the bats in the fourth. A ground rule double for Gyorko, a base hit for Fowler(!) and a ground out by Munoz scores Jedd. Munoz tries scoring from first on a Wong double but is gunned down for the second out of the inning. Cards up 3-2.
- New addition to the NL All Star Game Yadier Molina hits a sac fly in the fifth to score Paul DeJong and then Cardinals extend their lead to two. Cards up 4-2.
- The Cardinals load the bases with no out in the sixth. They score a two runs on wild pitches and one on a bases loaded walk.
- GRAND SLAM DEXTER FOWLER! Oh boy, did he need that. Good for Dexter. This game has been busted wide-open. 11-2 Cardinals halfway through the sixth.
- Miles Mikolas’ night is done. He goes six innings, gives up two runs on three hits, walks one and strikes out six.
- KOLTEN WONG hits a two run no doubter to right center and the Cardinals go up 13-2 in the eighth.
- Paul DeJong scores on a Jose Martinez double. Cardinals up 14-2 in the ninth.
- Danny Mac is doing his best Hawk Harrelson impression in the bottom of the ninth and it’s delightful.
- Yadier Molina is the only Cardinals starter not to collect a hit in tonight’s game. He did have an RBI sac fly though.
- Kolten Wong goes 4-for-5 with two RBIs and a triple away from the cycle.
- Cardinals collect 16 hits, eight walks and strike out nine times.
- Cardinals improve to 47-43 on the 2018 season.
Well, that was fun! Cardinals are back in action tomorrow night from Chicago. Luke Weaver takes on Carlos Rodon at 7:10 CST.