Cubs vs. Cardinals. Always a fun time when these two teams get together, right? Well, I guess it’s only fun if you win. The Cardinals are five-hundred, the least they can do is steal a few games from the Cubbies. Let’s do this. Luke Weaver on the bump.
- Luke Weaver gets two quick outs but runs into some trouble with Jason Heyward and Javy Baez who both single in their respected at bats. Weaver gets out of the inning unharmed though.
- Yadi and DeJong hit back-to-back singles in the first but can’t make anything happen out of it. No score through one.
- It’s an understatement to say Weaver has struggled against the Cubs in his career. He has given up 13 earned runs in 12 innings pitched against them. Despite that, he looks good early.
- Ozuna leads off the second with single (classic) and Pham gets hit by a pitch to get two on and no out to start the inning. Fowler lines out to third and the Cubs almost double up Ozuna but the throw is wild. Runners on second and third, one out. But, you guessed it, they can’t bring them in to score. 0-0 through two.
- Anthony Rizzo takes Weaver deep down the right field line on a ball that nearly went foul. Cubs get on the board first.
- Yadi doubles, DeJong doubles to score Yadi and clean-up hitter Jose Martinez drives a single to right to give the Cardinals the lead. 2-1 Cardinals through three innings.
- Dexter leads off the fourth with a base hit. Munoz has a 10 pitch at bat and is able to muscle out a single to right. First and third nobody out when Weaver bunts and Fowler is called out at home. UGLY PLAY.
- Yadi doubles for the second time tonight and he drives in a run. Then, DeJong clears the bases with a single to center. 5-1 Cardinals through four innings.
- Fowler guns down his BFF Rizzo who tried extending a single into a double. Good on you, Dex!
- Javy Baez hits a towering shot to left center for his 20th home run of the season. 5-2 Cardinals.
- Luke Weaver’s night is over and it’s his best game against the Cubs in his career. He gives up two runs on eight hits, strikes out five and walks zero.
- The seventh and eighth innings are pretty uneventful.
- Bud Norris shut the door on this game and the Cardinals are back in the win column.
- Cardinals move to 52-51 on the season.
Cardinals go for the series victory tomorrow at 3:05 CST. Miles Mikolas takes on Jose Quintana.