Guys, my air conditioning went out tonight. It’s 109 degrees outside, so that’s not so great. In dealing with that bullshit, I did not get much time to watch the game, but I did see that … [SPOILER ALERT] the Cardinals won! Here is some stuff that happened:
- The Cardinals started the game with two on and no one out and did not score.
- In the second inning, Kolten Wong hit a one-out double, which Harrison Bader followed with a base hit. Due to some extremely odd base running choices, Wong ended up thrown out at the plate while Bader got no further than first base. No one scored that inning, either. Things were not looking good.
- David Freese hit a solo home run in the bottom of the second inning. 1-0 Pirates.
- The Cardinals scored three runs in the third inning. Matt Carpenter got on base with a walk, Yadier Molina followed with a single, and Jose Martinez hit a double to score Carpenter. Jedd Gyorko hit a double of his own to score Molina and Martinez. 3-1 Cardinals.
- The Cardinals scored again in the fourth and then Pittsburgh tied it up. Tie game, 4-4.
- Gomber did not pitch as well as he did the last time around. Mike Schildt pulled him after four innings. Dakota Hudson came in to pitch three flawless innings.
- Martinez and Gyorko with back-to-back doubles again in the fifth inning, plus a Kolten Wong single and a Harrison Bader ground out, gave the Cardinals the lead again. 6-4 Cardinals.
- It eventually became 7-4 and then 8-4 on a Matt Carpenter solo home run. Matt Carpenter is hitting like, .700 lately. Dude cannot be retired. After the way this season started, it is super impressive.
- Bud Norris came in and pitched a perfect ninth inning. Cardinals win, 8-4!
It is hot AF in my house, friends. Sigh. At least the Cardinals won.